Sunday 1 February 2015

Patchwork Challenge January Summary

Well January is over. I put some details of my North Duffield patch area up at the beginning of the month here and have enjoyed seeing some good birds.

I finished January on 82 species, 89 points. The best birds have included:

Green-winged Teal - gutted to have not found this (if only for the extra 3 points I would have scored!), was found by Jono while I was away for the weekend - the only day I didn't spend some time on the patch all month! Luckily it was there the next day but hasn't been seen by anyone else subsequently. Details/photos here.

Raven - although only worth the 1 point on the PWC score system, Raven was probably statistically one of the rarest birds I saw in the patch in January. My first local, and only second or third record in six plus years in the York recording area.

Hen Harrier - difficult to catch up with in the local area - some years they just don't happen, other years you can have a few knocking about. It's just a case of being in the right place at the right time - luckily I was this time.

Bewick's Swan - although the LDV is a Special Protection Area (SPA) designated specifically for Bewick's Swans, among a range of other species. They are far from regular these days. I've had the one family group a couple of times over recent years but for a few years before that nothing. The SPA citation is for 47 individuals - these days we're happy to get one bird! Conversely - Whooper Swans have gone the other way and are now here in large numbers and the site should be an SPA for them!

Other notable species seen in January include: Marsh Harrier, Peregrine Falcon, Stonechat, Black-tailed Godwit, Barn Owl and Corn Bunting. Pochard and Tufted Duck were pleasing too given the water levels.

Birds I've not seen so far, but should have done include: Little Owl, Red-legged Partridge, Grey Partridge, Treecreeper, Jack Snipe, Green Woodpecker, Pink-footed Geese (or any of the other more unusual geese that usually turn up in January).

Birds reported locally that I've missed include: Rough-legged Buzzard, Short-eared Owl and Oystercatcher.

Barn Owl from the LDV Andy Walker.

1 comment:

  1. What a great month! Would have liked to have seen the Hen Harrier and Green Winged Teal!

    ReplyDelete